Thursday, March 1, 2018

#NoFur

I't's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I LOVE animals so it pains me that fur is still used in the fashion industry. This is not to say however, that I don't understand the desire to envelop oneself in a tangly mess of plushy goodness. As an animal-loving, knitwear designer I'm ultimately a big sucker for fringe, furry yarns, loopy stitches and dense, luxe textures.

I'm sure there are some earlier posts that show fur but now I consciously try to avoid posting anything that celebrates wearing dead animals. Note I said "celebrates," which is what any fashion editorial in its most earnest pursuit endeavors to do with clothing. I'm not talking about Inuit people in Alaska who hunt some of their food and use the skins to keep warm in a climate where you might actually need to be dressed like a yeti.

In yet another example of how the fashion industry is often quite slow to adapt and modernize, many companies still subscribe to the outdated notion that a garment with fake fur simply cannot be considered "luxury." With Gucci and Michael Kors going #FurFree, my hope is that the rest of the fashion industry will realize the customer is changing and get with the program.

Advances in textile technology have made faux fur almost indistinguishable from the real thing. BUT...if you're concerned about the effects synthetic textiles have on the environment, creating furry looks with yarn is a way to be a little more eco-friendly.

Here are some shaggy, beasty pieces that I'm liking right now: some old, some new, some are even good for Spring.

#NoFur
#ForTheAnimals

Elle Bulgaria March 2018
Proenza Schouler Fall 2018
Sacai
Cosmopolitan Turkey March, 2015
Vogue Brazil March, 2013
Vogue Spain December, 2013
Hermes 2011-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment