FOR INDUSTRY WATCHERS: (TDH's continuing series of industry shake-ups)
- TJ Maxx Should Terrify Macy's - Business Insider
- Urban Outfitters Bares All - Philadelphia Magazine
- Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren Hit Hard by Stores' Discounting Binge - Bloomberg
- Top Fashion Schools in the USA: A State of Oversupply - Business of Fashion
TDH EDITOR'S NOTE: Excellent commentary. I've been talking about this for a long time. As a former adjunct professor I've lamented the fact that schools are a business and therefore need to keep admitting more and more students to make money but they do little to prepare students for the lack of jobs available when they graduate. It gets even harder as you move up the ladder. The pyramid gets totally choked around the 7-8 year mark. Many schools operate on a very dated business model. A more forward-thinking approach would be to re-structure curriculum to create new paths for the industry via technology, manufacturing, re-cylcing, etc. This takes time, especially when you need to hire professors who can teach these subjects.
- Sonia Rykiel, Fashion Designer for the 'Fragile, but Strong,' Dies at 86 - The New York Times