Monday, July 30, 2018

Sustainability | How A Plastic Bottle Becomes a Shirt

I spent 2 days last week attending fabric shows at the Javits Center - Texworld USA and the Functional Fabric Fair to be precise - reporting on them for InnovationInTextiles.com

It was amazing to me how almost every mill seemed to be promoting some kind of eco-friendly material; a claim I find dubious at best.  Sustainability is a buzzword in fashion right now but in truth, few people are actually practicing what they preach.

We need to start educating people from the beginning so they can vet the assertions made by their favorite brands.

I found this awesome video on how plastic bottles become a piece of clothing.  Enjoy learning!


2 comments:

  1. What's even more exciting is Toray has created a poly made from plants called EcoDear that will hopefully help end some of our dependence on fossil fuels, and will break down faster than conventional plastic. Maybe they showed this? Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to go to these fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting! Thank you for sharing! I see it has made inroads into more functional/outdoor apparel but it hasn't penetrated into the "fashion" world yet it seems. I'm inclined to believe that's simply a product of marketing (or lack thereof) and I imagine many designers would be happy to work with these materials in a high-fashion way.

    ReplyDelete